Monday, February 8, 2010

Placements at SOIL

Placements – the most awaited time of the year and for some of us, of our careers. This is the time that will decide which way our future moves. All of us are preparing hard. And of course, hats off to the Career Forward team - they are working tirelessly all day for all of us.

It is exciting and our nervousness gives us butterflies in our stomach. The excitement is about getting so many companies on campus and the nervousness is of which one is right for me!

Lots of questions come to mind. Where will I get placed? Where will my friends get placed? Will I be able to perform well in the interview? Do I have what my dream company is looking for? Are the interviews going to be hard to crack? Being the charter batch of SOIL, we have to set standards. We have the responsibility of creating SOIL’s brand. All these things have to be taken care of.

Every day, I see a few disappointments but much more happiness. Students are celebrating not only for themselves but also for their friends who are getting placed. I see some students helping others in preparing for interviews and others coordinating with the Career Forward team. Everyone is motivating each other towards achievement. An interesting scene is the one right outside the interview room – all a little worried about the interview and at the same time hopeful of being selected!

It is an amazing experience to see the President of SOIL being at work till the last interview ends, despite being busy with so many other responsibilities.

The past 2 weeks have seen many individual stories being created and one of them was mine. When I was selected, I felt that one can never know what makes you get selected and what brings you a rejection! I had thoroughly prepared the technical aspects of my HR subjects and my perception was that the behavioral interview cannot be tough. But that’s not true. It’s really tough to understand what goes right and what goes wrong. I had already given 5 interviews and this was my sixth. I was well able to figure out what I had lacked in my previous interview and overcoming these flaws was my single aim till I got selected. But now I am selected, and I still feel the need to improve and learn and grow. I had thought that I’ll be very happy once selected. But I am still puzzled. And I have plenty of questions within me about myself that I need to explore! I guess that’s what lifelong learning is about.

Contributed by – Ira Jha, Student of HR Leadership Program, SOIL

2 comments:

  1. Lifelong journey is surely what one needs to learn throughout his/her life. Congrats on your placement, you surely know how to win anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ira,
    Firstly Many many congratulations for the selection. Can you please let me know the highest placement package as of now for HR and other programs.

    ReplyDelete